Camboon Primary School Homework Guidelines
Effective from 2020
Camboon Primary School staff believe homework is most effective when it is planned and reinforces what the students have been learning in the classroom.
- support the achievement of learning outcomes through revision and consolidation.
- support the development of student’s independence as a learner and self-management skills.
- develop the partnership between school and home and encourage conversations about learning between parents and their children.
- Expect diaries and reading log books to be at school daily and encourage students to record homework in their diaries or reading log books.
- Homework will be marked or feedback given, where appropriate.
- Encourage children to complete their homework and establish a daily routine.
- Use a diary or reading log book as a means of communicating with the teacher.
- Provide support if needed and communicate any queries with classroom teachers.
- Write homework in diaries or record reading in log books.
- Take responsibility for completing homework.
- Ask questions if unsure about any homework.
The following is a guide to the types of homework likely to be provided at Camboon Primary School.
Years K-2 (up to 15 min/night)
- Home reading/literacy games/Reading Eggs.
- Practise sight words or learning of spelling words.
- Practise number facts.
- Preparation for news telling or oral presentations.
- Collecting simple data to support class work, e.g. recording meals to discuss in health lessons.
Years 3-6 (up to 40 min/night)
- Home reading/Reading Eggs.
- Practice of spelling words/literacy vocabulary work.
- Practice of number facts/multiplication tables.
- Activities to reinforce, remediate or extend class work.
- Finishing-off incomplete class work, including specialist areas.
- Research to support class work across all learning areas.
- Publishing draft work completed in class.
- Music practice for those students involved in the IMMS program/choir.